Sunday, July 17, 2005

 

Funny "hmm," rather than funny "haha."

I've got a few blogs that I check just about every day. People I've known online for eight years. It's just interesting that I only know these people through a little bit of their lives that gets passed through my computer screen. I guess I check them regularly to make sure that those people are still doing ok, even though most of them, I've never actually met in person. When I read that so-and-so on the west coast is ill, or that she's having love-life problems, or that she saw something beautiful on a walk, it makes me feel a part of her life somehow. When what's-his-name on the east coast has a story about his daughter, or pictures he's taken of his cat, I get a brief feeling of looking into a window of his house. It's nice.

I've been fortunate enough to meet some internet people face-to-face, and I've really enjoyed the experience. Still, the vast majority of internet aquaintances are faceless names on my screen.

Here's to you, faceless names and names with faces. Thank you for bringing my life a little something extra to enjoy. You may not know it, but there have been days when I thought you were the only people on the planet that cared about me. I realize that that was probably in the depths of depression, and that it wasn't true, but you always managed to make me feel a little bit better in some small way.

My Harry Potter book arrived yesterday. I read about twenty pages in it, and decided that I wanted to space it out, rather than eat it all in one sitting. As has always been the case with those books, I'm drawn in instantly and the writing is so familiar to me that I'm right back in the story without having to remind myself of too much that's happened in past volumes. J.K. Rowling has created a really fine series.

Saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory today. Online friends said that Willy Wonka reminded them of Michael Jackson, and I must agree. Johnny Depp, again, pulls off a really nice performance. He somehow manages to be fantastic in just about everything he's cast in. I wonder if he'd go to a 21 Jump Street reunion show.

Comments:
Dammit, I guess I need new curtains! You know, Louie, we do care about you, and it's nice to see you care, too. Nothing pisses me off more (well, I guess that's not true) than folks who choose to treat people they meet on the internet as anything less than real people. Yes, there are personas and masks, but there's always a real, live person at the keyboard. Thanks for expressing that you feel the same way.
 
dorky trivia:
you rememer johnny's partner on 21 jump street was Peter DeLuise? one of Dom's sons who is now producer/director/writer on SG-1? ;) although, i doubt depp would go to a reunion...he only took the acting gig to try to support his music career and hated the first movie he was in too..."nightmare on elm street".

eh, i was a teenage girl when all that was happening...i paid attention.

THANK YOU for not telling me about the michael jackson thing BEFORE the movie. that would've ruined it for me.

i'll have to steal the harry potters when i finally have time for fun reading again. maybe next summer at the cottage i'll chain read. *wistful sigh*

~yk
 
It's interesting that you wrote this entry when you did. I noticed over the weekend that you're still checking my blog as well as my home page. Either you're having a hard time letting go as well or you enjoy being nosy and "secretly" checking up on me. Either way, read on dear ex-boyfriend of mine. I have nothing to hide. Apparently after all the inconsequential bantering of stressing a "no contact" rule, we both still enjoy being a part of each other's life, as you put it, which I have no problem with if you don't. I know we've both put in our efforts to stay away, but the isp hits on our tracking logs seem to prove neither of us was successful.

Cat
(or should I say y.k. - (your kitten) for the old nick)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?